Thursday 12 March 2015

Bring me to life



There was a sharp knock at the door. It was already dark outside, I turned to see the time by the wall clock. “8:00”, I mused, “Who could it possibly be?”
I peeked through the window by the door side, and cranked the door open surprisingly.
“Hi!”
“It’s a little late to pay a visit after the whole disappearing act in the day, don’t you think?”
“I brought dinner.” , he held the Chinese packets high enough to be seen.
“Okay, come on in.”
He entered without another word. It was all very silent, like it is before a storm. He placed the packages on the table and sank in the couch. The curve on his lips was not usual, it made me ask, ”You okay?”
“Yes!”, I could tell he lied. His eyes were narrowed for the first time. I flickered on the lamps in hall.
He held my hand as I opened the drawer to draw out bowls. “Eat from the boxes?”
“Alright.” I said almost whispering. “You look different”, I remarked.
“Why do you tie up your hair? I like them when they are left opened” and he took out the hair band from my pony tail. He moved his hand through my hair, tracing the curls. “You are beautiful”
“What’s wrong?”
“Food’s getting cold, let’s eat.” He took me to the couch with him holding my hand gently. Before I could ask another question he started going on about the food he liked. He talked while eating, something he rarely did, making me worried.
“What do you want to do now?” He asked clearing the table.
“Let’s talk.”
“What do you want to talk about?”
“What is it that you are not telling me?” I saw his eyes sinking in silence, despair overcoming him, his lips seal, his smile disappear, and hands tighten.
“What’s wrong?”
“I, uh….. I am leaving” He finally broke the silence.
“Where are you going?”
“London”
“For what?”
“Stuff” He answered after a little pause.
“When do you leave?”
“Tomorrow!”
I was silent as he was. I felt my heart sink, as if I was drowning and somebody tied me with a heavy stone.
“Oh….. Okay” For some reason I was scared, “When are you coming back?” His lips did not part.
“You are coming back, right?” I saw him dropping his eyes again.
“You are coming back, right?” I repeated myself…. Little louder.
He did not say anything for few moments. Silence lingered between us. And there it was, the harsh reality. The bitter potion that I had just gulped that was enough to drown me.
“I am sorry.”
I was silent. I was drowning. I was shattering. I was crying. I was dying.

1 comment: